276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Long Shadows: From the number one bestselling author (Amos Decker series Book 7)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I just wanted to hear your voice. It just seemed so important to me right now. I’ve been working up the courage to call you.” He thought fast. Surely the aide would have called the police. Surely, they were already on their way there. Sharp as a pistol shot she barked, “I forgot Sandy today. Right before they left to go to Cleveland. I forgot her.”

Long Shadows (excerpt) | David Baldacci Long Shadows (excerpt) | David Baldacci

She continued as though he hadn’t spoken. She said, “I just remembered her before I called you. And only because I looked at a photo with her name on it. I forgot I had a daughter, Amos. For a time there was no Sandy Lancaster in existence for me. Can you understand how…terrible that is?” A single shot, which he believed—because he knew Lancaster—had been delivered with deliberate care and competent accuracy. She would have chosen the temple, the chin, or the open mouth as her entry point. Any one of those would get the job done. With all this in mind he is being sent to Florida and his usual partner in crime Alex Jamison has been transferred, he now has to deal with another partner Frederica White “aka Freddie” which means change which he hates.He was a consultant with the FBI. Long before that he had suffered a near-fatal brain injury while playing professional football. His altered brain held two new attributes which, up to that point, he hadn’t even known about and had no reason to: hyperthymesia, or perfect recall; and synesthesia, which caused him to pair certain things with unlikely colors. In his case it was dead bodies linked with a shade of electric blue. After his football career ended he had become a policeman and then a detective in his hometown; thus, seeing dead bodies was not all that unusual. One brother died by gunshot during a shootout with another gang, and one’s in prison until he’s an old man. My oldest brother is an attorney and works for the Public Defender’s Office in Boston. My sister has her own tech business and lives in Palo Alto in a house worth more than I will ever make in my life.” The casket had been closed. The gunshot had been fired upward through the mouth, leaving Mary Lancaster beyond the magic of the mortician’s cosmetics, and thus unviewable.

Long Shadows by David Baldacci | Waterstones

He recited from memory, “‘As a person of color and a woman on top of that, I find it a necessity to my future well-being, and that of my family.’ ” He was to come to the Washington Field Office immediately, or so commanded his superior at the Bureau. He glanced once at the trash can where the destroyed letter rested and then grabbed his car keys and walked out the door. I hate the Browns. I’m an Eagles girl through and through. Hate the Baltimore Ravens, too, and that’s all I see now.” Good enough for me, but if we walk out of here now Talbott will just make us have lunch together or something, and I doubt you want that.”

Featured Reviews

He put a hand against the wall to steady himself because when the electric blue hit him, it made his balance momentarily say bye-bye.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment