276°
Posted 20 hours ago

High Heat: (A Jack Reacher Novella) (Kindle Single) (Jack Reacher Short Stories Book 4)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There really is no plot to speak of. The first third of the story involves a woman jogging and a man driving a car, prior to their lives intersecting. At the same time Reacher is being briefed by Military Intelligence on his mission. Then there's the hearing and after that the end game. Yes, it's fiction, but no realism and no authenticity in it... because of that and more, I've made my mind, I don't really like Lee Child, even if I wanted to... I may give him, or his books I should say, maybe one or two more chances, just so I can have my conscience clear, just to make sure I don't jump to conclusions too fast, after all Lee Child is still one of the bestselling authors on the New York Times list, but still, this character is way too much to swallow if you're looking for quality... and I for one I am looking for quality and I got used with writers in a totally different league all by themselves... A good reading buddy of mine sent me a note that said I need to get caught up on my Reacher reading. So, here I go. Trying to get a start on that goal.

High Heat: (A Jack Reacher Novella) (Kindle Single) (Jack

Child writes the blandest, most uninspired and workmanlike prose (prose is barely the word to describe it really, let’s look at the label as a placeholder) I’ve ever read. Actually that’s not true, the last writer I read who wrote like he were writing inter-departmental memos in a law firm was Tom Clancy who also had a penchant for the military. Lee has three homes—an apartment in Manhattan, a country house in the south of France, and whatever airplane cabin he happens to be in while traveling between the two. In the US he drives a supercharged Jaguar, which was built in Jaguar's Browns Lane plant, thirty yards from the hospital in which he was born.What can I say, it's a Reacher...and he figures it out so easily while I'm sitting here totally stupid. I liked how Child informed us of Reacher's character with his mouthing off to Christopher, his observational skills in figuring out what Christopher's hand movements mean. Without being an info dump, it tells us that Reacher is very good at his job. Guy Walks Into a Bar (June 7, 2009); prequel to Gone Tomorrow includes Reacher, published in The New York Times. I can't really find anything about this short story to recommend it. Reacher is called from Germany to go undercover in a congressional hearing regarding a new sniper rifle. Military Intelligence thinks that there is a leak as to the specs of that rifle. Reacher's job is to find the leak. Interspersed with the early portions of this story are snippets of two different individuals heading toward the center of D.C. -- it's not immediately clear what's going on with either of them, but you get plenty of opportunities to guess. They do a decent job of increasing the tension, though. Match Up (June 2017) Lee co-wrote a story with Kathy Reichs, titled “Faking a Murderer” which features Reacher and Temperance Brennan.

Deep Down by Lee Child | Goodreads Deep Down by Lee Child | Goodreads

Listened to the audiobook. Overall rating is 3, but Deep Down was the best of these & Rules the least. Reacher fans will want to read this just because it's Reacher. Anyone who has not read a Lee Child Reacher novel should not waste their money on this. This includes 3 novellas: Deep Down (#16.5) is a story from early in Reacher's military career; Second Son (#15.5) is a story from his early teens; High Heat (#17.5) Reacher is 17 in NYC (1977) one evening on his way to visit his brother at WestPoint. He's not just physically big, or I should say huge, in great shape, with a dominant presence and heavy fist, but he's also smart, sharp, always able to identify hidden clues, always able to make great deductions that will lead to finding the ideal solution to solve any type of problem, always winning any kind of confrontation, mental or physical, and always being the best among the best, with no flaws just plain old superhero on our side always winning against any villain.Alive in Shape and Color (December 2017) Lee’s story is “Pierre, Lucien & Me” based on Auguste Renoir’s Bouquet of Chrysanthemums (1881). No Middle Name by Lee Child: 9780399593574 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books". Penguin Random House . Retrieved 4 March 2020. Given that it was a short story, the first half of the story was set up along with a gratuitous stalking of a woman jogging culminating in her death at the hands of a baddie we never meet. The second part of the story, by comparison, felt rushed and wrapped up too easily. We know Reacher is a military mastermind so making the baddie the most obvious person of a group of women was maybe a little condescending to the reader. Probably not intentionally, but it really felt to this reader that the Reacher spirit we have come to know was missing. Is it to give us the feeling of being inside a military op with the too small suit and the shirt that reaches halfway down the arm and PX shoes? Much was made of what Reacher was wearing instead of that space being used to making sense of the resolution of the storyline. Some of Hill's female voices leave a little to be desired. But I have no other complaints -- good stuff (he has sort of a Stan Lee quality to his voice from time to time -- if Child ever made him say "true believers," I'd flip). In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper (December 2016) Lee’s story is “The Truth About What Happened” based on the painting “Hotel Lobby” (1943).

High Heat by Lee Child · OverDrive: ebooks, audiobooks, and High Heat by Lee Child · OverDrive: ebooks, audiobooks, and

Deep Down is set during the 1980s. Reacher is asked to investigate a potential leak of military secrets to the Soviet Union via fax machine from the U.S. Capitol building. The potential leakers are a set of officers working in a committee to flash out the characteristics needed in a new sniper rifle should the Congress decide to fund the creation of a new sniper rifle and buy it. Reacher is added to the committee as part of an undercover operation to figure out who the bad guy is. The Fourth Man (March 2019) originally published as bonus material in Australia’s Past Tense hardcovers, now a digital single in the UK.FaceOff (June 2014) Lee and Joseph Finder co-wrote the story “Good and Valuable Consideration” which pairs Reacher with Finder’s Heller.

Jack Reacher Chronological Order Series by Lee Child - Goodreads

A] feverishly thrilling series . . . With Child, you can always count on furious action." —The Miami Herald The Christmas Scorpion (December 2017) The Mail on Sunday’s two-part story features Reacher. Republished as a Transworld UK and Delacorte US ebook in October 2018. A] feverishly thrilling series . . . With Child, you can always count on furious action.” —The Miami Herald Admittedly I probably love it because I already know (and love) Reacher and his stories are somewhat familiar so obviously he will outsmart everyone and win the day! That's not really a spoiler is it??! Too Much Time (October 2018) was originally published in the 2018 Reacher anthology, No Middle Name.It's always nice to see Reacher in uniform and see snippets of his military days, and this book delivered that. It's a hearing before a procurement committee on the Hill, and there's a suspicion that one of the liaison officers is selling the design to a foreign manufacturer.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment