276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Deadly Affair: The new gripping short story collection

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Christie often stayed at Abney Hall in Cheshire, which was owned by her brother-in-law, James Watts. She based at least two of her stories on the hall: the short story The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, and the novel After the Funeral. Abney Hall became Agatha's greatest inspiration for country-house life, with all the servants and grandeur which have been woven into her plots. Just a week prior, Valerie Azlynn also appeared as the psychotic Alyssa in Nanny Seduction. Coincidentally, in this movie, she's also working against a protagonist played by Austin Highsmith. This has to be one of the worst lakorn I have seen and if I inflicted this to myself I surely do not wish anyone to do the same for himself. Stay away from this torture which will never give you any moment of joy or any real satisfaction of being entertained. Even if the performance of the lead actors is commendable I will give this 1/10 because I really lost my time on this crappy lakorn. As fascinating as most of these stories were, I couldn’t help but cringe at some of the patronising prose of some of the heroes. I know it’s a sign of the time it was written in, but it did take away from my enjoyment of the novel. It's February so a book of love stories (many with mysterious leanings) seemed a good thing to choose. This is not a bad collection of short stories from Agatha Christie. As with most collections, some stories I liked others I was neutral on (YMMV) but I'm glad I read these. I don't know that Id recommend this as a place to begin with Christie or short stories but for those already in, its a good comprehensive collection.

I’ve not read Christie is ages, only watched various movie adaptations, and this collection was an absolute pleasure to spend time with. I’ve read a bunch of golden age mysteries and few and far in-between have the same effortless appeal, charm and timeless quality to them as Christie’s work.

You might also like

Agatha Christie also wrote romance novels under the pseudonym Mary Westmacott, and was occasionally published under the name Agatha Christie Mallowan. In 1960s London, Charles Dobbs ( James Mason) is a staid MI5 operative investigating Foreign Office official Samuel Fennan ( Robert Flemyng), a former Communist who apparently commits suicide. Dobbs becomes suspicious about the cause of Fennan's death while visiting Fennan's widow the morning after his death. When a wake-up call is received at Fennan's home, his widow Elsa ( Simone Signoret) says the call was for her. Dobbs discovers this to be a lie, and as a result Dobbs suspects that Elsa, a survivor of a Nazi extermination camp, might have some clues regarding Fennan's death.

Other government officials want Dobbs to drop the case. However, Dobbs privately links up with retired police inspector Mendel ( Harry Andrews) to continue enquiries and they uncover a network of Communist agents. Dobbs also discovers that his wife Ann ( Harriet Andersson) is leaving him to go to Switzerland to join a former World War II colleague, Dieter Frey ( Maximilian Schell).

Corporate

The Deadly Affair is a 1967 British spy film based on John le Carré's first novel, Call for the Dead (1961). The film stars James Mason and was directed by Sidney Lumet from a script by Paul Dehn.

A woman is stabbed by a man wearing newspaper, and dies in Tuppence's arms after telling her, Bingo did it. But this isn't some sweet Make-A-Wish thing. No, someone wants to frame their spouse's lover using the poison they supposedly bought to take out some flying pests. She comes across an advertisement in that paper that says, Are you happy? If not consult Mr. Parker Pyne., and decides to give it a try. The Case of the Rich Woman- Parker Pyne helps a wealthy woman find happiness in an interesting way. It has what I'd consider a sweet though somewhat impractical end. Total ridiculous shitty crap. The story is basically piling some of the dumbest tropes in lakorns. These are sent into the face of the viewers the most ridiculous way to just outrage them and bait them into watching the next episode. Because viewers think they are going to be relieved of their frustration by one nice cute entertaining development which just never happens. This drama is just baiting and baiting and baiting until the viewers have swallowed all the bs but never had an entertaining and fun story to enjoy.

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. But in the coming days, more things are revealed and you get a real sense of why she was leaving him in the first place. The King of Clubs- in which Poirot solves a murder and is almost thrown off but for a card that wasn't played in the alibi given. Poirot called in to help by a prince in love with an actress. the lady didn't come off very nicely. This is a Harley Quin mystery, so it's Mr. Sattherwaite to the rescue of an extremely beautiful young woman who attracts what we would call stalkers these days. She's found a nice man she wants s to marry, but Sattherwaite can't help but think that not all is right. There was another man who was interested in her, and even though he says he wishes her well, Sattherwaite can't shake the feeling that he was missing something. In “The Face of Helen,” a night at the Royal Opera could reach a fatal crescendo for a woman caught in a dicey love triangle; “Finessing the King” delivers a curious ad in the personals that could mask sinister intentions; who’s in danger of getting stung in “Wasps’ Nest” depends on rounding up suspects and solving a murder—before it even happens. These are just a few of the tales in this collection featuring essential reading that Christie fans old and new will simply love to death."

The King of Clubs is one of those fun Poirot shorties where he discovers what really happened but the police never do.

Our culture

The youngest of three children of the Miller family. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880–1929), called Monty, ten years older than Agatha.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment